As you complete this introduction, please take notes on this Introduction to Poetry & Poetry Analysis handout. You will email it to me at the end of class using the subject line PoetryIntroBlock.
Choose one of the following images. Write a poem about it. You have 10 minutes.
After you've written your poem, respond to the following:
- How did you go from the image to the page? What did you write about?
- What was difficult? What was easy?
- Did you rely on literal or figurative language?
- What meaning did you want to convey?
- Were you trying to hide meaning from your reader/audience?
Why is poetry powerful? How is it different from prose?
"The powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse."
How are imagery and figurative language vital to understanding a poem?
The Red Wheelbarrow by William Carlos Williams
so much depends
a red wheel
glazed with rain
beside the white